Brown Memorial Library Trustee Meeting
Minutes, Wednesday, July 5, 2017
Attendance: Connie Scheffy, Ellen Barselle, Patty Furness, Nola Jordan, Mary Chris Duncan, and Meg Fearnley. The board meeting for the Trustees of Brown Memorial Library was called to order at 6:05pm.
1. The secretary’s report was presented. A motion was made and passed to accept the report.
2. The treasurer’s report was presented. The library received donations in the total amount of 82.70: 20.00$ from a damaged book and 62.70 from the on-going book sale. A motion was made and passed to accept the donations. Brown Memorial Library received 20,000$ in appropriations from the Town of Bradford. Expenses are on track for where we are in the year. Situation with bank account continues to be monitored, and we are waiting to determine if there’s a need to move accounts. A motion was made and passed to accept treasurer’s report.
3. The librarian’s report was presented. Meg reported that the library has not been incredibly busy, possibly due to the nicer summer weather. Summer reading program begins on July 17, 2017.
4. Old Business
A. Officially elected members who have been acting formally in their positions since May 2017.
Chairperson: Patty Furness
Treasurer: Nola Jordan
Secretary: Ellen Barselle
B. Lighting consultant, R&T Electric, come today, 7/5/17, to assess the cost of replacing old fluorescent lighting to LED lighting. R&T Electric will get back to us soon with quotes for keeping current ballasts in place or replacing all the fixtures. There may be a way to offset costs if we qualify to use an energy program provided through Eversource. Meg will look into whether this is a possibility for the library.
C. Board will propose to establish a policy to pay library employees who are called for jury duty, their regular salary minus any monies received from the court, for any working days missed. Board will table decision for August 2017 meeting.
5. New Business
A. Discussed joining the Town of Bradford/Warner oil consortium vs. pre-buying fuel through Ayer & Goss. Trustees agreed to Bradford/Warner consortium provided these contingencies: we will be able to pay as we go, on a month by month basis, and that we are able to buy more oil without penalty. A motion was made and accepted to join oil consortium given above stipulations.
B. Programs for the summer are:
1. Black Bear Program led by Dick Wright on Thursday, 7/13/17, at 7:00pm.
2. Summer reading program on July 17th through August 7th, Monday afternoons from 1:00-2:00pm.
3. Book Group Discussion: The Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Marra on Wednesday, 7/19/17, at 7:00pm.
4. Music Program with the Hardtacks: Folk Music & Comics, on Thursday, 8/10/17 at 7:00pm.
5. Book Group Discussion: Underground Airlines by Ben Winters on Wednesday, 8/16/17, at 7:00pm.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:10pm. The next meeting will be held on August 7, 2017 at 6:00pm.