Board of Selectmen Meeting Minutes
January 2, 2018
Pledge of Allegiance
Meeting called to order at 5:34PM
Roll Call- John Pfeifle, Chairman; Sonny Harris, Selectman (arr. 5:39); Jim Bibbo, Selectman; Karen Hambleton, Town Administrator and Marilyn Gordon, Treasurer were in attendance
- Pre-Payment of 2018 Property Taxes: In light of the impending tax law, the Town received several inquiries about the pre-payment of property taxes. The Select Board voted 2-0 (Selectman Harris had not yet arrived) affirming that the Town of Bradford has historically accepted tax pre-payments and will continue to do so. The Select Board will review on a case by case basis any requests for the refund of prepaid tax.
- Auditor Engagement Letter: Karen followed up with our current auditor and he submitted a revised 5 year engagement letter with the cost of services to be provided at $13,000 per year. The Board voted 3-0 in favor of signing the letter and the letter was signed.
- Cell Tower: The Board discussed the letter received from Divine, Millimet Attorneys at Law. The Selectmen agreed that Jim would continue to work on the issue through his contact at Verizon. John indicated he remains frustrated by the lack of cell service in town and is prepared to make a motion that the tower be removed by 7/1/2018 if cell service has not yet been provided.
- Review Town Hall Invoices: The Board approved invoices for Trumbull-Nelson, Barrett Architecture and Naughton and sons.
- Sign Treasurer Request for Town Hall Funds: The Board signed a request for the Treasurer to draw $92,000 from the Town Hall bond.
Pending Issues/Other Business:
- The Board extended a warm thank you to Emma Dubaere who baked cookies for the Road Crew.
- The Chair noted that the Road Crew had been doing an excellent job on the roads; much improved over years past.
- Karen confirmed with the Board that none of them had contact information for the Craig Property. She will write a letter.
- The Board wished that it be recommended to the Planning and Zoning Boards that projects be approved only when they include specific service and operational dates.
- Sonny mentioned two documents he’d written reflecting on the Town Hall – one current and one written a while ago. Sonny feels strongly that the Select Board should allow Jay Barrett to be the PR point person on Town Hall with regard to this year’s Town Meeting. Jim motioned that the three Selectmen allow Jay Barrett to assume the role of PR point person for Town Hall, letting him explain the technical aspects of the project, the finances, problems etc. The motion passed 3-0.
- The Board requested an update on 114 East Main Street with regard to its lack of a building permit and certificate of occupancy. Karen indicated that the building inspector had been in touch with the owner but had not seen paperwork yet. It was noted that the Sweet Beet has a number of temporary signs around town and that enforcement of the temporary sign ordinance should be consistent in Town. Karen was also asked to look into the claim that someone was living upstairs from the Sweet Beet.
The Payable and Payroll Manifests were signed.
Minutes of December 18th meeting were reviewed and accepted without changes.
The next Selectmen’s meeting will be held on Monday January 8, 2018 at the Bradford Community Center.
Meeting adjourned to non-public session at 6:09
Meeting resumed public session at 6:29
The Select Board requested a review of the Comp Time Policy
Meeting adjourned at 6:30
Minutes submitted by Karen Hambleton