Conservation Commission Minutes 11.21.17

Bradford Conservation Commission
Draft Minutes
November 21, 2017, 7pm at Brown Memorial Library

Present: George Beaton, J Ann Eldridge, Meg Fearnley, Patty Furness, Brooks McCandlish.

Secretary’s Report: The draft minutes of 10/17/17 were amended to reflect that it was George and Seth who documented erosion damage on Rowe Mt Road from OHRV use. The draft minutes were accepted with this correction.

Treasurer’s Report: Meg reviewed the month’s activity. Maps will be printed with updates; an invoice is needed to pay for Bog replacement boards. There was discussion of booking an educational program with any remaining funds.

Conservation Property: Ann reported that Brian Hotz (Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests) has expressed interest in possible purchase of a local land parcel for conservation, and will be discussing with Andy Deegan (Ausbon Sargent Land Preservation Trust).

Rowe Mountain Erosion: Members discussed possible measures to alleviate the erosion in the ditches along either side of this road, which included allowing vegetation to grow within the ditches and/or the addition of rip rap rock. Rob Livingston was mentioned as a NHDOT resource person.

Cell Tower Concerns: Sonny Harris emailed a report on research by the EMF (Electromagnetic Field) Network regarding cell tower radiation health concerns to the Selectmen, PB, ZBA and BCC. After discussion, it was decided no comment was required from the BCC.

County Road Proposed Junkyard Map9/Lot45: The Planning Board recently accepted the site plan application. There will be a site walk Saturday December 16 at 10am, and a public hearing Tuesday December 19 at 7pm. Brooks opined that evaluation of the detailed site plan is beyond our area of expertise, and that the PB should consider hiring an environmental engineer for consultation. Concerns voiced in deliberation included erosion control during construction, storm water runoff on pads, and consideration of participation in the DES Greenyards program, which goes beyond the minimal requirements of standards of practice. Ann will draft these comments and submit to the PB.

School Partnership Workshop: George presented insight into this program which creates partnerships between conservation commissions and local schools as a means of getting young people involved in conservation,

Eagle Scout Project Proposal: Brady Lombard sent an email expressing interest in making fishing line depositories to be installed at various sites such as the Lake Massasecum boat landing for his Eagle Scout Project. Patty volunteered to contact the Lake Massasecum Improvement Association for their input. We applaud this young man’s environmental concern and compassion!

NH Association of Conservation Commissions Annual Meeting 2017: George presented a synopsis of the educational workshops he attended at the November 4th meeting, on thought provoking topics such as siting trails with wildlife in mind.

Bradford Hazard Mitigation Plan Committee: There will be a meeting to begin drawing up a new hazard mitigation plan for the town on Wednesday, November 29, 9am at the Community Center. The current 2006 plan will expire at year’s end. Bruce Edwards will be attending, along with the Central Regional NH Planning Commission. Brooks volunteered to attend this meeting as our representative.

Beaver Deceiver: Seth has been corresponding with Skip Lisle regarding our interest. Grants available through NHACC; it was agreed to request a visit from Skip to the sites to discuss installation and cost. Ann reported that Andover has had beaver deceivers in use for eight years with great success.

Ammunition Manufacturing Application: The ZBA will consider an application for ammunition manufacturing on Fortune Road on Wednesday, December 6. BCC comments may be sought; members present voiced concern about introducing lead into the environment. Brooks recused himself from discussion.

OHRV Impact on Class VI Roads: This group will meet again in December.

With no further business, the meeting adjourned at 8:25pm. The next meeting will take place Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 7pm at Brown Memorial Library.

Respectfully submitted,
Patty Furness, Secretary