Board of Selectmen Meeting Minutes
November 13, 2017
Pledge of Allegiance
Meeting called to order at 5:30PM
Roll Call- John Pfeifle, Chairman; Sonny Harris, Selectman; Jim Bibbo, Selectman; Karen Hambleton, Town Administrator; and Marilyn Gordon, Treasurer were in attendance.
- Town Hall update – Jay Barrett, architect – Chairman, John Pfeifle welcomed Jay to the meeting to present a Town Hall update. Jay began by saying for the first time since he was introduced to the project, he is very optimistic on the progress and looks forward to the next phases. The building is now back on solid ground as of last week and all looks good except for a few places where perhaps the sills were showing age prior to the lift. Overall the building is secure. Structural drawings were released to Trumbull-Nelson Construction Company for review. By Friday of last week, he said he was feeling good that the project is turning around. Current handouts were distributed to the Board and the audience to review while he continued his presentation. Included in his presentation were details of the materials and labor needed to complete the structural work necessary. He feels confident that Tony from Trumbull-Nelson has done his due diligence in preparing a secure quote. As outlined in the October 16, 2017 presentation, Jay recommended the Board consider Option 2 which authorizes the continuance of construction work on the building at the most recent estimate of $509,325. The motion was made by Jim to accept Jay’s recommendation; 2nd by Sonny. John then reiterated that he would approve the motion providing Jay presents to the Board at the December meeting figures outlining the cost of the municipal offices moving back into the building by fall of 2018, again stating, the completed project is still in the scope of $2,000,000, inclusive. Without further discussion from the Board, the motion was unanimously approved.
- School Budget – Winfried Feneberg, Superintendent – Chairman, John Pfeifle welcomed Winfried to the meeting to present an overview of the school district and budget. Bradford is the third town he has visited personally and appreciates the opportunity. He complimented the regional school district for the continued support which provides the many assets available to the over 1800 students district wide. He outlined the different studies coming from each of the schools and the positive impact it has on the district overall. He reiterated that the consistency from all the town boards is providing a quality education for all the students. During his presentation, he also outlined some staffing needs, thoughts on how to increase the idea of more students continuing with higher education after graduation and current programs that are happening at each of the schools. When he was asked what can Bradford do to support the district, he replied with, continue to support your local elementary school. John thanked him for his time and extended an invitation to attend more Select Board meetings in the future.
- Electric – Karen presented two options for the town to choose for the supplier portion of the Eversource bill. The town is currently with Nextera for this service. Jim made a motion to stay with the current supplier for 12 months. The motion was seconded by Sonny. Board approved 3 -0.
- 83 West Main St – The Board was informed of the fire that has displaced the tenants and that possibly the town will be asked to provide support. The Welfare Office is aware of the situation.
- Temporary Signs – Karen presented two letters asking for acceptance of temporary signage. Jim stated that this is not an issue for the Select Board and asked that letters be sent advising them their concerns need to be presented to the Zoning Board.
- Health Insurance – The Board was advised that the premium rates for health insurance are decreasing for 2018. Therefore, the Board agreed to continue the employee portion contribution to stay at 9% of the premium.
- LCHIP documents signed by Selectmen
- 2016 Town Audit signed by Selectmen
- Treasurer request for Town Hall funds signed by Selectmen
- Sonny advised the Board that he and Jim had already signed the tax map correction
- It was noted the library was concerned with the minutes from the 10/23/17 Select Board meeting.
- The Board discussed how the departments present budget requests. A motion was made by Sonny to keep the process as is for the upcoming budget year. Approved by Board 2 to 1.
- October 2017 expenses were not discussed as the incorrect year had been handed out by mistake
Nothing new to report
Minutes of October 19th, 25th, and November 6th meetings were reviewed and accepted with no changes.
Meeting adjourned to non-public session per RSA 91-A:3IIa at 7:33 pm
Meeting rejoined public session at 8:00 pm
The next Selectmen’s meeting will be held on Monday November 20, 2017 at 5:30 at the Bradford Community Center.
Meeting adjourned at 8:01 pm
Minutes submitted by Maureen Brandon